Making a budget and sticking to it isn’t usually too fun but there are a few ways that you can make it a little more interesting.
1. Use a budgeting app. You can search online for apps or check out news web sites like the New York Times which reviews different apps.
2. Create a game to play with your spouse or friends who have similar budgeting goals. For example, award three points for the person who goes a day (or the longest) without spending any money or two points for eating in instead of dining out, etc. At the end of the month, the person with the most points wins a prize (maybe a home cooked meal prepared by the ‘loser’ or a week without having to take out the trash).
3. Join an online community where you can discuss your budgeting goals and receive support and tips on how to stick to your budget.
4. Set milestones for yourself. This is especially important if you are working towards long term goals.
5. Reward yourself (responsibly) when you have been able to stick to your budget for a month.
6. See how much money you can make by selling stuff at a garage sale or on eBay that you no longer need. You could incorporate this into your budgeting game- the person who makes the most money in a month earns four points!