Getting ready for a new school year is exciting but also can be very expensive especially if you have more than one child in school. Here are some tips on how to save money when preparing for the new year.
- Wait to buy school supplies until late August or early September. This can save you lots of money because stores are trying to get rid of merchandise. It is a good idea to buy the essentials before the year begins and wait a few weeks to buy the rest.
- Only buy what is on the teacher’s list. It may be tempting to buy cute extras but sticking to the list will help you stay within your budget.
- Repurpose items from last year’s school supplies and your home office. Don’t buy a new backpack or binder unless the old one is truly worn out. Search your home office for unused items that your child could use. You can help your child personalize the item by adding photo collages or stickers.
- Shop sales and buy in bulk when possible. It may be more convenient to buy everything at one place but you could save money by shopping sales at different stores. Also, buying pencils and pens in bulk can save you money by not having to buy those items multiple times throughout the year.
- Check mailers and websites for different stores such as Target, Walmart, Office Depot, and Staples to see which items are on sale at each place and plan out where to go for each item you need.